Things to consider when compiling a Property Inventory
A property inventory is an integral part of a property’s complete report cycle. It protects a Landlord’s investment when they check-in new tenants whilst also ensuring that any disputes about deposits at check-out remain fair and objective.
For landlords, compiling a property inventory is vital. While independent assessments from estate agencies and inventory clerks are necessary for dispute processes, landlords and tenants may wish to collect their own inventories. These may include their own maintenance guidelines and highlight specific things to look out for.
If you choose to compile your own property inventory, you can use a free inventory app like Reports2Go to kickstart the process. Here are a few inventory best practices to consider.
Embed Photographs with timestamps
Photographs are vital for documenting the condition of a property as they provide visual evidence. To hold up in a dispute, the time the picture was taken is another piece of crucial information. This ensures that a photo was taken before the tenancy started to capture whether the tenant or landlord is responsible for any damage found.
Use clear Terms
Some requirements for property hand-over can be unclear, like defining what it means to clean to a “professional standard”. In such circumstances, outline in detail what the process entails so a third party can understand it easily. Again, be specific, and keep receipts where appropriate.
Check for Basic Repairs
If you are compiling a property inventory as a landlord, take care to check the appliances in your property for basic repairs. This might include clogged machinery or broken seals, damp, mould or limescale in the bathroom, etc. These are vital areas tenants could impact during the stay and should be monitored carefully.
Don’t overlook the Outside
Don’t forget about external areas when compiling your inventory. For example, ensure you note the state of the window and door frames and the garden. You might expect tenants to keep hedges and the grass cut back and tidy to where it was before the rental period. Also, make sure you take accurate meter readings for gas, electricity and water.
Note Serial Numbers
Noting down the serial numbers of furniture, electronic goods and other items can allow landlords to protect against tenants attempting to switch in substitutes when they check out.
Don’t rely on Photography alone
One final consideration worth noting is that your property inventory should not be a picture book. Photo and video can support your descriptions and highlight large areas of damage. However, they are often insufficient for describing defects or fine details, like chips and scratches. Ensure your inventory describes such details thoroughly and draws attention to the area in question. Use tags, if possible, to highlight these in photos.
With our free inventory app, you can let yourself be guided through the inventory process and easily capture photo-evidence and notes with timestamps for your property. Visit our website today to learn more, or find Reports2go in your app store.
Dan, 08 April 2022
- Property Inventory App? What can I expect for my money?
- How inventory clerk software can help your business
- The advantages of using Voice Technology for Property Reports
- What goes into a Condition Report?
- Things to consider when compiling a Property Inventory
- Do I Need a Property Inventory?
- The Importance of Check-In and Check-Out Reports
- Our Dictation Software makes creating Inventory Reports so much faster
- Why you need to carry out Interim Inspections of your BTL
- Creating an Inventory is a critical task for a Managing Agent
- An Inventory Guide for Tenants
- Our App makes creating a Schedule of Condition so much faster and more Accurate
- Some tips for Landlords carrying out Property Inspections
- Creating an Inventory is one of the most Important Tasks for a Managing Agent
- What should you check for when Inspecting your Rental Property?
- How to Hire an Inventory Clerk
- Is an Inventory Report needed for Unfurnished Properties?
- The Reasons why you should carry out a Mid-Tenancy Inspection
- The Perfect Inventory App for Landlords
- Check-In and Check-Out reports: What you need to know as a Tenant
- Carrying out Mid-Tenancy checks: What you Need to Know
- You’re not still living in the 20th Century, are you?
- What to check for when doing an Inventory Report
- Use Speech Recognition tools to reduce time doing Reports
- Our Dictation App saves you a Huge Amount of Time
- Mid-Tenancy Reports are Critical when Letting a Property
- There may be Errors in the Inventory Report
- Reports2Go: the 21st Century way of creating Property Reports
- How to do a Condition Report for your BTL
- The work of an Inventory Clerk can be exceedingly varied
- What should you check for when inspecting your Lettings Property?
- Some things you need to know about Mid-term inspections as a Landlord
- The Reports2Go App makes Property Reports simple
- Why you should carry out Interim Inspections as a Landlord
- Why Check-In and Check-Out Reports are important for Tenants
- Some things to consider if you are thinking of buying a BTL
- The clever way for Letting Agents to create Property Reports
- Our FREE app makes Inventory Reports so much easier
- What to do if your Tenant has Damaged your Property?
- Inventory Reports and Check-Ins – are both really necessary?
- Who should pay for Property Cleaning - Tenants or Landlords?
- Is a Check-in Report Really Necessary?
- New plans and improved resolution for images
- Overheads of being a Landlord
- It is Critical that Inventory Reports are Accurate
- Mid-term Inspections of your BTL are Essential
- Minimising risks with proper tenant checks
- Making a Claim on a Tenant’s Deposit: What you need to consider
- The Importance of an Inventory for Tenants
- Things to note when conducting Check-In/Check-Out reports
- Our App saves a huge amount of time carrying out Inventories
- 5 Handy Screening Topics for New Tenants
- Busting Property Management Myths
- Six Money-Saving Tips for Landlords
- Rules for Tenants and Pets in 2021 - What are the Changes?
- As a Landlord you need to carry out Interim inspections
- Giving your Feedback on an Inventory as a Tenant
- Inventories made easy with Reports2Go
- New to Letting? What you should know about Property Reports
- Three Pillars of Good Property Management
- How can PropTech reduce your Property Inventory burden?
- Choosing the right Rental Management Strategy
- Some Tips for Promoting your Letting Agency Business
- The Importance of an Inventory to you as a Tenant
- Some Ideas to Consider in Order to Reduce your Overheads
- Legislation Concerning Landlords and Tenants is Constantly Changing
- What’s your Property Management approach?
- How to maintain a Positive Relationship with your Tenant
- How important is a Condition Report?
- Tools for New Landlords and Property Managers
- The Check-in Process in the Reports Cycle
- Doing an Inventory: Part 5 - Enhancing the Report
- Doing an Inventory: Part 4 - Finishing Up
- Doing an Inventory: Part 3 - Describing Items
- Doing an Inventory: Part 2 - At the Property
- How to do an Inventory: Part 1 - Preparation
- All you need to know about Property Reports as a Tenant
- Use the FREE Reports2Go App to Speed-up Inventories
- Using on-board Dictation Software for Reports
- A guide to Inventory, Check-In, and Check-Out reports
- Reasons for Landlords to carry out Mid-term Inspections
- How to Carry out an Inventory Quickly, Accurately, and Easily
- What does an Inventory Clerk do, and should I hire one?
- Inventory – A Guide for Tenants
- Things to keep in mind when conducting a Check-in Report
- Free Schedule of Condition - Why You Need it
- End-of-Tenancy clean? All you need to know
- Reports During Covid - 19 Restrictions
- Mid-term inspections as a Landlord
- How to avoid Deposit Angst with the Reports2Go app
- The Importance of the Reports2Go App for Inventories
- All about the Reports2Go App
- The Importance of an Inventory for a Tenant
- Dictation makes for a much faster and more Accurate Inventory
- How the Reports2Go app works
- Free Property App
- Completely Free App
- Tenant Fees Act and Inventories
- When you have a lot of Inventories, Reports2Go will save you time
- Periodic Inspections and why they are good idea
- Inventory meets the 21st century with Reports2Go
- Our App saves you a lot of time on Mid-Term inspections
- What is an inventory and why have one?
- Text Mode
- Audio Mode
- Our Inventory App
- Inventory Associations
- The life cycle of a Report