Doing an Inventory: Part 2 - At the Property
Having collected the keys, you are at the property. So again, the mantra of good planning leading to good result applies. You have to get a measure of the task in front of you. Assuming this is an inventory, and this is the first time you are reporting on the property, you need to first determine the order in which you’re going to work through the it.
Conduct a quick tour. Follow a clockwise or anti-clockwise route through each floor, noting the rooms that are present and any obvious issues that you will need to take care of later. Note any similarities in the layout and furnishing of the rooms. For example, each bedroom may have the same style of lights or curtains. You can make the job of creating descriptions much easier by noting which are the same items in multiple rooms.
Generally, areas such as basements are to be avoided. Steps can be particularly steep and lighting is sometimes not the best. You can create the relevant room but just make a note that it has not been inspected.
Keep a track of alarms and detectors – these will have to be tested later.
As you go along, add the rooms to the Reports2Go free inventory app.
Take a look outside; check the state of the gardens. What is the condition of the lawn? Are any walls or fencing in need of repair? There may be outbuildings such as a storeroom or shed. Pay particular attention to the state of the front and rear facades. Note any signs of failing guttering or water leaks. Identify location of the meters. Often in flats the location of a particular unit’s parking space or bin store can be a mystery defying logic. A lot of time can be wasted locating these. If possible, ask for the location of meters, parking, bin store and stop cocks when picking up the keys.
Once you have toured the property, begin with taking a good picture of the front of the property – it will be the cover picture for the report. A few words describing the location and general construction style or the property plus the number of bedrooms will act as a cover page summary.
Next time we will look at how to describe items and contents.
Panos, 16 October 2020
- Six Money-Saving Tips for Landlords
- Rules for Tenants and Pets in 2021 - What are the Changes?
- As a Landlord you need to carry out Interim inspections
- Giving your Feedback on an Inventory as a Tenant
- Inventories made easy with Reports2Go
- New to Letting? What you should know about Property Reports
- Three Pillars of Good Property Management
- How can PropTech reduce your Property Inventory burden?
- Choosing the right Rental Management Strategy
- Some Tips for Promoting your Letting Agency Business
- The Importance of an Inventory to you as a Tenant
- Some Ideas to Consider in Order to Reduce your Overheads
- Legislation Concerning Landlords and Tenants is Constantly Changing
- What’s your Property Management approach?
- How to maintain a Positive Relationship with your Tenant
- How important is a Condition Report?
- Tools for New Landlords and Property Managers
- The Check-in Process in the Reports Cycle
- Doing an Inventory: Part 5 - Enhancing the Report
- Doing an Inventory: Part 4 - Finishing Up
- Doing an Inventory: Part 3 - Describing Items
- Doing an Inventory: Part 2 - At the Property
- How to do an Inventory: Part 1 - Preparation
- All you need to know about Property Reports as a Tenant
- Use the FREE Reports2Go App to Speed-up Inventories
- Using on-board Dictation Software for Reports
- A guide to Inventory, Check-In, and Check-Out reports
- Reasons for Landlords to carry out Mid-term Inspections
- How to Carry out an Inventory Quickly, Accurately, and Easily
- What does an Inventory Clerk do, and should I hire one?
- Inventory – A Guide for Tenants
- Things to keep in mind when conducting a Check-in Report
- Free Schedule of Condition - Why You Need it
- End-of-Tenancy clean? All you need to know
- Reports During Covid - 19 Restrictions
- Mid-term inspections as a Landlord
- How to avoid Deposit Angst with the Reports2Go app
- The Importance of the Reports2Go App for Inventories
- All about the Reports2Go App
- The Importance of an Inventory for a Tenant
- Dictation makes for a much faster and more Accurate Inventory
- How the Reports2Go app works
- Free Property App
- Completely Free App
- Tenant Fees Act and Inventories
- When you have a lot of Inventories, Reports2Go will save you time
- Periodic Inspections and why they are good idea
- Inventory meets the 21st century with Reports2Go
- Our App saves you a lot of time on Mid-Term inspections
- What is an inventory and why have one?
- Text Mode
- Audio Mode
- Our Inventory App
- Inventory Associations
- The life cycle of a Report