How to avoid Deposit Angst with the Reports2Go app
The Tenancy Deposit Scheme provides for a tenant deposit to be held in a secure method either with an approved holder of fund or by the agent themselves backed by approved insurance. The purpose of the deposit is so that the landlord can recover their costs if there is loss or damage to the property or its contents when the tenancy ends. This may be through neglect, misuse, or even deliberate.
The purpose of the deposit is not to cover fair wear and tear. Nothing lasts forever, and this is true of furnishings and appliances in any property. Carpets, cookers, fridges, vacuum cleaners, and so on, all suffer from wear over the years and get to a point where they need replacement. Paintwork fades and needs repainting. Even windows and dressings suffer from wear, although that be slower. All of that is fair wear and tear and it is part of cost that the landlord has to bear and not the tenant.
It is essential that the landlord or their agent prepares a condition report which details the condition of everything in and about the property at the beginning of the tenancy, at check-in, and at check-out when the tenant leaves. The initial report is known as inventory and will also include things such as meter readings, which can be carried out before the tenant arrives. Check-in is usually carried out on the day the tenant arrives and included the process of handing over the keys. It is usually done with the tenant present. Check-in may vary a little from the inventory report in that meter readings can change even though the property is unoccupied, and give and opportunity to revisit items particularly if there has been a bit of an interval between the inventory and check-in.
It is always a good idea to give the tenant an opportunity to read the report in their own time. Sometimes items only come to light when someone tries to use them. For example, there may be a crack in one of the fridge shelves or a kitchen cupboard door may be sticking. The tenant should be given a few days in which to be able to update the report with their comments and observation
Oddly enough, the Tenancy Deposit Scheme rules do not actually require inventory, check-in, or check-out reports! But the TDS does point out that without them it will be very hard to convince an adjudicator – as well as the tenant – that deductions from the deposit are justified, because it will be quite difficult to prove the condition of a property at the beginning of the tenancy without them.
Of course, carrying out inventory and check-in/check-out reports can be very time-consuming for the landlord or his agent, and it is also very easy to miss things. This is why you need the Reports2Go app which will make carrying out inventory so much quicker and will also ensure that you don’t miss anything.
Very simply, you can download the Reports2Go app from Google Play or the App Store to your mobile or tablet. The good news is that it is free to download and use. Instead of taking notes with a clipboard and pad, and using a camera, you can type your notes directly into the mobile or tablet and use the camera to take photos. As you go, the app will give you prompts for each room, reminding you to check the taps in the bathroom, the light fittings, and so on. This is a lot faster than writing everything down by hand. When you have finished the inventory, you then upload everything to your portal on our server and a report will be ready to download a few minutes later.
Alternatively, if you want to get the inventory even faster, you can use the app in audio mode and simply talk into your phone in the same way that you use voice memos. When you have completed the inventory, you then upload to our portal where it will be ready for you to download and transcribe back at the office. Alternatively, for a small fee, our staff will transcribe for you and you will be able to download the report from your portal.
Panos, 19 June 2020
- What should you check for when Inspecting your Rental Property?
- How to Hire an Inventory Clerk
- Is an Inventory Report needed for Unfurnished Properties?
- The Reasons why you should carry out a Mid-Tenancy Inspection
- The Perfect Inventory App for Landlords
- Check-In and Check-Out reports: What you need to know as a Tenant
- Carrying out Mid-Tenancy checks: What you Need to Know
- You’re not still living in the 20th Century, are you?
- What to check for when doing an Inventory Report
- Use Speech Recognition tools to reduce time doing Reports
- Our Dictation App saves you a Huge Amount of Time
- Mid-Tenancy Reports are Critical when Letting a Property
- There may be Errors in the Inventory Report
- Reports2Go: the 21st Century way of creating Property Reports
- How to do a Condition Report for your BTL
- The work of an Inventory Clerk can be exceedingly varied
- What should you check for when inspecting your Lettings Property?
- Some things you need to know about Mid-term inspections as a Landlord
- The Reports2Go App makes Property Reports simple
- Why you should carry out Interim Inspections as a Landlord
- Why Check-In and Check-Out Reports are important for Tenants
- Some things to consider if you are thinking of buying a BTL
- The clever way for Letting Agents to create Property Reports
- Our FREE app makes Inventory Reports so much easier
- What to do if your Tenant has Damaged your Property?
- Inventory Reports and Check-Ins – are both really necessary?
- Who should pay for Property Cleaning - Tenants or Landlords?
- Is a Check-in Report Really Necessary?
- New plans and improved resolution for images
- Overheads of being a Landlord
- It is Critical that Inventory Reports are Accurate
- Mid-term Inspections of your BTL are Essential
- Minimising risks with proper tenant checks
- Making a Claim on a Tenant’s Deposit: What you need to consider
- The Importance of an Inventory for Tenants
- Things to note when conducting Check-In/Check-Out reports
- Our App saves a huge amount of time carrying out Inventories
- 5 Handy Screening Topics for New Tenants
- Busting Property Management Myths
- Six Money-Saving Tips for Landlords
- Rules for Tenants and Pets in 2021 - What are the Changes?
- As a Landlord you need to carry out Interim inspections
- Giving your Feedback on an Inventory as a Tenant
- Inventories made easy with Reports2Go
- New to Letting? What you should know about Property Reports
- Three Pillars of Good Property Management
- How can PropTech reduce your Property Inventory burden?
- Choosing the right Rental Management Strategy
- Some Tips for Promoting your Letting Agency Business
- The Importance of an Inventory to you as a Tenant
- Some Ideas to Consider in Order to Reduce your Overheads
- Legislation Concerning Landlords and Tenants is Constantly Changing
- What’s your Property Management approach?
- How to maintain a Positive Relationship with your Tenant
- How important is a Condition Report?
- Tools for New Landlords and Property Managers
- The Check-in Process in the Reports Cycle
- Doing an Inventory: Part 5 - Enhancing the Report
- Doing an Inventory: Part 4 - Finishing Up
- Doing an Inventory: Part 3 - Describing Items
- Doing an Inventory: Part 2 - At the Property
- How to do an Inventory: Part 1 - Preparation
- All you need to know about Property Reports as a Tenant
- Use the FREE Reports2Go App to Speed-up Inventories
- Using on-board Dictation Software for Reports
- A guide to Inventory, Check-In, and Check-Out reports
- Reasons for Landlords to carry out Mid-term Inspections
- How to Carry out an Inventory Quickly, Accurately, and Easily
- What does an Inventory Clerk do, and should I hire one?
- Inventory – A Guide for Tenants
- Things to keep in mind when conducting a Check-in Report
- Free Schedule of Condition - Why You Need it
- End-of-Tenancy clean? All you need to know
- Reports During Covid - 19 Restrictions
- Mid-term inspections as a Landlord
- How to avoid Deposit Angst with the Reports2Go app
- The Importance of the Reports2Go App for Inventories
- All about the Reports2Go App
- The Importance of an Inventory for a Tenant
- Dictation makes for a much faster and more Accurate Inventory
- How the Reports2Go app works
- Free Property App
- Completely Free App
- Tenant Fees Act and Inventories
- When you have a lot of Inventories, Reports2Go will save you time
- Periodic Inspections and why they are good idea
- Inventory meets the 21st century with Reports2Go
- Our App saves you a lot of time on Mid-Term inspections
- What is an inventory and why have one?
- Text Mode
- Audio Mode
- Our Inventory App
- Inventory Associations
- The life cycle of a Report