Is an Inventory Report needed for Unfurnished Properties?
Some people believe you don’t need an inventory report for unfurnished properties or ones that don’t have any fixtures or fittings that are particularly high value, but this just isn’t the case.
In this article, we explore the importance of performing an inventory report for your unfurnished properties as well as offer some advice on how you can create one.
What is included in an Inventory Report for an Unfurnished Property?
There is a lot that goes into your inventory report that you might not immediately think of. Beyond your sofas and beds, landlords must add to their records things like appliances and even the colour of the walls.
For instance, if someone may switch white goods you have installed, or they may decide to paint the walls in a colour that they prefer. Both have happed so you need a record of exactly what the place was like before the tenancy started so that you can claim the necessary funds from their deposit to amend the change.
Other items that should be added to the report of an unfurnished property include:
Is an Inventory Required for Unfurnished Properties
If you have chosen to rent out your property unfurnished, you should follow all the standard procedures that you would with a furnished property, including a full check-in and check-out report and full condition report of the building.
There are certainly far fewer items that could be damaged or end up missing with an unfurnished property, but there may still be many areas of the property that can sustain damage and require either repair or replacement.
An inventory is often the only document landlords have when it comes to legitimately withholding funds from the deposit for replacements, repairs and cleaning. Without a record of exactly what is inside the building, you could face unnecessary disputes with your tenants.
Sometimes, over long tenancies, neither you nor your tenants will remember exactly what was in the property when they first moved in. You could be dealing with a family of four living in a house for several years who might have changed and re-changed many parts of the house over the course of their time there, including the colour of the walls, shelves, and various fittings.
Whatever you may have permitted to be changed it is best to keep a record of it and how it was when the tenancy started. Some changes can go you may be happy to allow, but others that are more serious, such as changing neutral wall colours to very dark or very bright colours will probably need to be changed before you let the property to new tenants.
The inventory report, check-in and check-out documenting an unfurnished property ensure that you have an accurate snapshot and photographic evidence of the property.
If a dispute is raised, your inventory report for your unfurnished property will play a key part in the evidence provided to the adjudicators so that you can improve your chances of receiving money from the deposit.
Gary, 07 January 2022
- Career Spotlight: Be a Property Inventory Clerk
- What tenants can expect from a Mid-Tenancy Report
- What are Periodic Inspections and what do they entail?
- Landlords - What to Do at the End of Tenancy
- What is a Check-In report?
- How inventory clerk software can help your business
- Property Inventory App? What can I expect for my money?
- The advantages of using Voice Technology for Property Reports
- What goes into a Condition Report?
- Things to consider when compiling a Property Inventory
- Do I Need a Property Inventory?
- The Importance of Check-In and Check-Out Reports
- Our App makes creating a Schedule of Condition so much faster and more Accurate
- Our Dictation Software makes creating Inventory Reports so much faster
- Why you need to carry out Interim Inspections of your BTL
- Creating an Inventory is a critical task for a Managing Agent
- An Inventory Guide for Tenants
- Some tips for Landlords carrying out Property Inspections
- Creating an Inventory is one of the most Important Tasks for a Managing Agent
- What should you check for when Inspecting your Rental Property?
- How to Hire an Inventory Clerk
- Is an Inventory Report needed for Unfurnished Properties?
- The Reasons why you should carry out a Mid-Tenancy Inspection
- The Perfect Inventory App for Landlords
- Check-In and Check-Out reports: What you need to know as a Tenant
- Carrying out Mid-Tenancy checks: What you Need to Know
- You’re not still living in the 20th Century, are you?
- What to check for when doing an Inventory Report
- Use Speech Recognition tools to reduce time doing Reports
- Our Dictation App saves you a Huge Amount of Time
- Mid-Tenancy Reports are Critical when Letting a Property
- There may be Errors in the Inventory Report
- Reports2Go: the 21st Century way of creating Property Reports
- How to do a Condition Report for your BTL
- The work of an Inventory Clerk can be exceedingly varied
- What should you check for when inspecting your Lettings Property?
- Some things you need to know about Mid-term inspections as a Landlord
- The Reports2Go App makes Property Reports simple
- Why you should carry out Interim Inspections as a Landlord
- Why Check-In and Check-Out Reports are important for Tenants
- Some things to consider if you are thinking of buying a BTL
- The clever way for Letting Agents to create Property Reports
- Our FREE app makes Inventory Reports so much easier
- What to do if your Tenant has Damaged your Property?
- Inventory Reports and Check-Ins – are both really necessary?
- Who should pay for Property Cleaning - Tenants or Landlords?
- Is a Check-in Report Really Necessary?
- New plans and improved resolution for images
- Overheads of being a Landlord
- It is Critical that Inventory Reports are Accurate
- Mid-term Inspections of your BTL are Essential
- Minimising risks with proper tenant checks
- Making a Claim on a Tenant’s Deposit: What you need to consider
- The Importance of an Inventory for Tenants
- Things to note when conducting Check-In/Check-Out reports
- Our App saves a huge amount of time carrying out Inventories
- 5 Handy Screening Topics for New Tenants
- Busting Property Management Myths
- Six Money-Saving Tips for Landlords
- Rules for Tenants and Pets in 2021 - What are the Changes?
- As a Landlord you need to carry out Interim inspections
- Giving your Feedback on an Inventory as a Tenant
- Inventories made easy with Reports2Go
- New to Letting? What you should know about Property Reports
- Three Pillars of Good Property Management
- How can PropTech reduce your Property Inventory burden?
- Choosing the right Rental Management Strategy
- Some Tips for Promoting your Letting Agency Business
- The Importance of an Inventory to you as a Tenant
- Some Ideas to Consider in Order to Reduce your Overheads
- Legislation Concerning Landlords and Tenants is Constantly Changing
- What’s your Property Management approach?
- How to maintain a Positive Relationship with your Tenant
- How important is a Condition Report?
- Tools for New Landlords and Property Managers
- The Check-in Process in the Reports Cycle
- Doing an Inventory: Part 5 - Enhancing the Report
- Doing an Inventory: Part 4 - Finishing Up
- Doing an Inventory: Part 3 - Describing Items
- Doing an Inventory: Part 2 - At the Property
- How to do an Inventory: Part 1 - Preparation
- All you need to know about Property Reports as a Tenant
- Use the FREE Reports2Go App to Speed-up Inventories
- Using on-board Dictation Software for Reports
- A guide to Inventory, Check-In, and Check-Out reports
- Reasons for Landlords to carry out Mid-term Inspections
- How to Carry out an Inventory Quickly, Accurately, and Easily
- What does an Inventory Clerk do, and should I hire one?
- Inventory – A Guide for Tenants
- Things to keep in mind when conducting a Check-in Report
- Free Schedule of Condition - Why You Need it
- End-of-Tenancy clean? All you need to know
- Reports During Covid - 19 Restrictions
- Mid-term inspections as a Landlord
- How to avoid Deposit Angst with the Reports2Go app
- The Importance of the Reports2Go App for Inventories
- All about the Reports2Go App
- The Importance of an Inventory for a Tenant
- Dictation makes for a much faster and more Accurate Inventory
- How the Reports2Go app works
- Free Property App
- Completely Free App
- Tenant Fees Act and Inventories
- When you have a lot of Inventories, Reports2Go will save you time
- Periodic Inspections and why they are good idea
- Inventory meets the 21st century with Reports2Go
- Our App saves you a lot of time on Mid-Term inspections
- What is an inventory and why have one?
- Text Mode
- Audio Mode
- Our Inventory App
- Inventory Associations
- The life cycle of a Report