What is an End-of-Tenancy clean? All you need to know
When you’ve listed a property for potential tenants, you’ll likely have made sure it’s completely clear and tidy. But there’s no real guarantee the place will be left in the same state and the standard is maintained for the remainder of their tenancy. During a tenancy, tenants are in charge of daily cleaning and maintenance of the property.
Most people don’t do deep cleaning on a weekly basis and when they’re close to moving out, it’s likely that attention will be on things other than general home cleaning and maintenance. This can leave you with a messy apartments and a bunch of inventory that you need to get rid of, as well as damage to the property in the worst cases.
In these situations, you can hire an end of tenancy cleaning service to return the property to its previous state. However, you cannot unjustly charge this from the tenants deposit if they have already left it in a good condition. You will need to provide appropriate evidence and receipts of the services used to avoid disputes.
To help with this process, we’ve developed an end of tenancy app at Reports2Go that helps you to track the condition of your property and stay on top of the various processes necessary for managing a tenancy, including check-in and check-out reports. Below are a few things you need to know to help you with the end of tenancy process.
What is an End-of-Tenancy clean?
Agents, landlords and tenants often resort to “end-of-tenancy cleaning” services to help them avoid or overcome disputes relating to the upkeep and condition of a property. A tenant is free to clean the property themselves or hire a company to do this for them before they leave.
However, if the property is not up to standards according to the check-in inventory and other records of the property’s state, then the landlord can conduct or arrange their own services and charge this from the deposit.
Essentially, this is more than just a standard cleaning of the property and requires a full top to bottom cleaning package, including cleaning of ovens, toilets, kitchen appliances and anything else that wouldn’t necessarily be covered in a general cleaning.
Whose responsibility is it?
End-of-Tenancy cleaning and deposits
Many disputes through the Deposit Protection Scheme are the result of insufficient cleaning. If tenants have not performed an end of tenancy cleaning before they’ve moved out, the landlord will hire a company to do the cleaning, while taking the money from the security deposit. As this may cost more money than desired by tenants, due to landlords prioritising quality over price. It is common for disputes to arise from the final bill of services.
Levels of cleaning
In the check-out report you need to note the depth of cleaning that has been undertaken. Usually, the Terms and Conditions section at the end of the report should define what is meant by each level. Here are some typical ratings:
During a tenancy, tenants are in charge of daily cleaning and maintenance of the property.Everything from the garden, driveway and patio is typically assigned to them. In some apartments, with shared outdoor spaces or hallways, it may be that these spaces may be the responsibility of the landlord or managing agent. When conducting your check-in inspection, remember to clarify who is in charge of these areas.
The Reports2Go app has a quick survey that captures the state of cleanliness. Having established the level, any further cleaning, as per the terms of tenancy can be initiated.
Our end-of-tenancy app at Reports2Go can help you with this process by providing you with an easy to use and transparent way of documenting the condition and state at check-out compared with check-in.
Dan, 18 July 2020
- What should you check for when Inspecting your Rental Property?
- How to Hire an Inventory Clerk
- Is an Inventory Report needed for Unfurnished Properties?
- The Reasons why you should carry out a Mid-Tenancy Inspection
- The Perfect Inventory App for Landlords
- Check-In and Check-Out reports: What you need to know as a Tenant
- Carrying out Mid-Tenancy checks: What you Need to Know
- You’re not still living in the 20th Century, are you?
- What to check for when doing an Inventory Report
- Use Speech Recognition tools to reduce time doing Reports
- Our Dictation App saves you a Huge Amount of Time
- Mid-Tenancy Reports are Critical when Letting a Property
- There may be Errors in the Inventory Report
- Reports2Go: the 21st Century way of creating Property Reports
- How to do a Condition Report for your BTL
- The work of an Inventory Clerk can be exceedingly varied
- What should you check for when inspecting your Lettings Property?
- Some things you need to know about Mid-term inspections as a Landlord
- The Reports2Go App makes Property Reports simple
- Why you should carry out Interim Inspections as a Landlord
- Why Check-In and Check-Out Reports are important for Tenants
- Some things to consider if you are thinking of buying a BTL
- The clever way for Letting Agents to create Property Reports
- Our FREE app makes Inventory Reports so much easier
- What to do if your Tenant has Damaged your Property?
- Inventory Reports and Check-Ins – are both really necessary?
- Who should pay for Property Cleaning - Tenants or Landlords?
- Is a Check-in Report Really Necessary?
- New plans and improved resolution for images
- Overheads of being a Landlord
- It is Critical that Inventory Reports are Accurate
- Mid-term Inspections of your BTL are Essential
- Minimising risks with proper tenant checks
- Making a Claim on a Tenant’s Deposit: What you need to consider
- The Importance of an Inventory for Tenants
- Things to note when conducting Check-In/Check-Out reports
- Our App saves a huge amount of time carrying out Inventories
- 5 Handy Screening Topics for New Tenants
- Busting Property Management Myths
- Six Money-Saving Tips for Landlords
- Rules for Tenants and Pets in 2021 - What are the Changes?
- As a Landlord you need to carry out Interim inspections
- Giving your Feedback on an Inventory as a Tenant
- Inventories made easy with Reports2Go
- New to Letting? What you should know about Property Reports
- Three Pillars of Good Property Management
- How can PropTech reduce your Property Inventory burden?
- Choosing the right Rental Management Strategy
- Some Tips for Promoting your Letting Agency Business
- The Importance of an Inventory to you as a Tenant
- Some Ideas to Consider in Order to Reduce your Overheads
- Legislation Concerning Landlords and Tenants is Constantly Changing
- What’s your Property Management approach?
- How to maintain a Positive Relationship with your Tenant
- How important is a Condition Report?
- Tools for New Landlords and Property Managers
- The Check-in Process in the Reports Cycle
- Doing an Inventory: Part 5 - Enhancing the Report
- Doing an Inventory: Part 4 - Finishing Up
- Doing an Inventory: Part 3 - Describing Items
- Doing an Inventory: Part 2 - At the Property
- How to do an Inventory: Part 1 - Preparation
- All you need to know about Property Reports as a Tenant
- Use the FREE Reports2Go App to Speed-up Inventories
- Using on-board Dictation Software for Reports
- A guide to Inventory, Check-In, and Check-Out reports
- Reasons for Landlords to carry out Mid-term Inspections
- How to Carry out an Inventory Quickly, Accurately, and Easily
- What does an Inventory Clerk do, and should I hire one?
- Inventory – A Guide for Tenants
- Things to keep in mind when conducting a Check-in Report
- Free Schedule of Condition - Why You Need it
- End-of-Tenancy clean? All you need to know
- Reports During Covid - 19 Restrictions
- Mid-term inspections as a Landlord
- How to avoid Deposit Angst with the Reports2Go app
- The Importance of the Reports2Go App for Inventories
- All about the Reports2Go App
- The Importance of an Inventory for a Tenant
- Dictation makes for a much faster and more Accurate Inventory
- How the Reports2Go app works
- Free Property App
- Completely Free App
- Tenant Fees Act and Inventories
- When you have a lot of Inventories, Reports2Go will save you time
- Periodic Inspections and why they are good idea
- Inventory meets the 21st century with Reports2Go
- Our App saves you a lot of time on Mid-Term inspections
- What is an inventory and why have one?
- Text Mode
- Audio Mode
- Our Inventory App
- Inventory Associations
- The life cycle of a Report