Periodic Inspections and why they are good idea
The bane of all tenancies is the submission, management and return of the deposit. We now have a well-established with good agents and landlords revolving around creating an inventory, doing a check-in and completing a checkout.
If properly created, these documents are invaluable in terms of destressing the entire tenancy and handover process. Each entity can see what is in the property and its state. Usually, a reputable agent/landlord will allow a week or so for the tenant to make corrections to the report. We are all human and errors can creep in.
One oft missed report is the mid-term tenancy or mid-term inspection report. This is usually undertaken after the first three months and then every six months or so. It is a progress report. And it works both ways – to assure the landlord that the tenant is adhering to the terms of the tenancy e.g. no smoking indoors and allows the tenant to feedback to the landlord any issues or repairs that may need to be done. At all times, the landlord is responsible for the fabric of the buildings. External drains, roof tiles etc. are the landlord’s responsibility.
Periodic inspections need to be quick so as to not inconvenience the tenant and they need to be arranged with at least 24 hours’ notice. The tenant has to be there. A landlord or their agent can’t just access a property without the tenant’s consent and presence. A report should take note of the tenant’s comments over any area that there may be some issue and photographs are a great way to get to the essence of any observation.
Many letting agents now use the Reports2Go app which is periodic inspection software for use on a mobile or tablet. It is based primarily on surveys and so is quick to complete. You can add photos and include tenant comments.
Dan, 20 November 2019
- The Importance of an Inventory for Tenants
- Things to note when conducting Check-In/Check-Out reports
- Our App saves a huge amount of time carrying out Inventories
- 5 Handy Screening Topics for New Tenants
- Busting Property Management Myths
- Six Money-Saving Tips for Landlords
- Rules for Tenants and Pets in 2021 - What are the Changes?
- As a Landlord you need to carry out Interim inspections
- Giving your Feedback on an Inventory as a Tenant
- Inventories made easy with Reports2Go
- New to Letting? What you should know about Property Reports
- Three Pillars of Good Property Management
- How can PropTech reduce your Property Inventory burden?
- Choosing the right Rental Management Strategy
- Some Tips for Promoting your Letting Agency Business
- The Importance of an Inventory to you as a Tenant
- Some Ideas to Consider in Order to Reduce your Overheads
- Legislation Concerning Landlords and Tenants is Constantly Changing
- What’s your Property Management approach?
- How to maintain a Positive Relationship with your Tenant
- How important is a Condition Report?
- Tools for New Landlords and Property Managers
- The Check-in Process in the Reports Cycle
- Doing an Inventory: Part 5 - Enhancing the Report
- Doing an Inventory: Part 4 - Finishing Up
- Doing an Inventory: Part 3 - Describing Items
- Doing an Inventory: Part 2 - At the Property
- How to do an Inventory: Part 1 - Preparation
- All you need to know about Property Reports as a Tenant
- Use the FREE Reports2Go App to Speed-up Inventories
- Using on-board Dictation Software for Reports
- A guide to Inventory, Check-In, and Check-Out reports
- Reasons for Landlords to carry out Mid-term Inspections
- How to Carry out an Inventory Quickly, Accurately, and Easily
- What does an Inventory Clerk do, and should I hire one?
- Inventory – A Guide for Tenants
- Things to keep in mind when conducting a Check-in Report
- Free Schedule of Condition - Why You Need it
- End-of-Tenancy clean? All you need to know
- Reports During Covid - 19 Restrictions
- Mid-term inspections as a Landlord
- How to avoid Deposit Angst with the Reports2Go app
- The Importance of the Reports2Go App for Inventories
- All about the Reports2Go App
- The Importance of an Inventory for a Tenant
- Dictation makes for a much faster and more Accurate Inventory
- How the Reports2Go app works
- Free Property App
- Completely Free App
- Tenant Fees Act and Inventories
- When you have a lot of Inventories, Reports2Go will save you time
- Periodic Inspections and why they are good idea
- Inventory meets the 21st century with Reports2Go
- Our App saves you a lot of time on Mid-Term inspections
- What is an inventory and why have one?
- Text Mode
- Audio Mode
- Our Inventory App
- Inventory Associations
- The life cycle of a Report