Busting Property Management Myths
There are so many property management myths out there it’s incredible. When talking about property management, we all know more than a few crazy stories or wild expectations that people genuinely believe to be true. We discuss 3 of the major ones.
Renters will Destroy my Property
New landlords hear horror stories about tenants that have completely destroyed the property and left without paying anything. However, these cases are often so few and far between and almost always take place in poorly managed properties.
For instance, university accommodation often suffers much more than other units because of the massively high turnover. The reality is that landlords of multiple student accommodation can still turn a decent profit even if some units need repairs after tenancies end. The academic year allows for refurbishments and tidy-ups for the changeover. Provide the basics well and cater in kitchen for multiple occupants with, for example, enough freezer and cupboard storage for all occupants.
On the other hand, families will want to live in, generally more comfortable, and tidy places. The needs of families are different – a clean and tidy garden will be a great asset to a family with children, for instance. As long as you have a strong agreement in place and are using the tenancy deposit scheme, you should be in a good place.
Ensure your initial contract are well specified and are clear on what the tenant must do at the end of tenancy. It may be that you provide a fully professionally cleaned unit and expect the same cleaning at the end of the tenancy. Ensure inventories and check-in reports are detailed enough to pick up any damage above and beyond wear and tear. Hold the deposit in an approved scheme. Join a landlords’ association and follow the best practice they outline in their code of conduct.
Schedule regular visits to check for items like damp, structural damage or fire-related risks. This will give you peace of mind and make sure your records are always up-to-date. You may think that this is a tedious and time-consuming task, but with free inventory software and a free mid-term inspection app, you or your managing agent can easily run around the property and update your condition report every 6 to 18 months.
Remember you can purchase insurance to cover almost any aspect of rental – from rent arrears, furniture damage & maintenance to eviction services.
Property Management is Simple
Some people assume property management is really difficult, while others assume it's easy. The second is probably the worst myth you can believe in as it often leads to poor management and many issues arising between you and your tenant.
Good property management requires spending many hours working on finding tenants, collecting rent, and coordinating maintenance (or repairing things themselves). Working with a managing company can solve your time overhear, for a price, but if you do it yourself, you’ll need to be completely aware of all the things you’re responsible for doing.
Property Management Agents will Complicate things
Agents are there to make life simpler. That’s why you pay them. If hiring a property manager makes life more complicated for you, you've hired the wrong manager.
A good quality property manager should be looking out for your property and your best interest. Good returns for you means good returns for them. And if you sense that they don’t quite understand this, we’d recommend looking elsewhere.
With various tools and apps like free dictation software and inventory clerk apps, it's very easy to standardize the property management process. As long as you have a good system in place, you should be able to receive regular updates about how your property is doing in a clear referenceable format.
Property Managers are Expensive
Most property management companies don't get paid unless there is a tenant in your property. So while you will indeed need to part with a percentage of your takings, you're buying the security that someone is always working hard to ensure that your property is filled with tenants and making money for both of you.
If you think about how much it can cost to arrange every aspect of the property management process yourself, you’ll find it hard to find a way to do it cheaper than the amount you actually pay to a property manager. For instance, while you won’t need to fix something on your property every day, you could find that one week the boiler breaks down and a window is broken. Agents have access to known trades people whom they can rely on.
Remember there are different levels of service managing agents offer:
You can pick the level that suits your circumstances.
Dan , 09 April 2021
- What should you check for when inspecting your Lettings Property?
- Some things you need to know about Mid-term inspections as a Landlord
- The Reports2Go App makes Property Reports simple
- Why you should carry out Interim Inspections as a Landlord
- Why Check-In and Check-Out Reports are important for Tenants
- Some things to consider if you are thinking of buying a BTL
- The clever way for Letting Agents to create Property Reports
- Our FREE app makes Inventory Reports so much easier
- What to do if your Tenant has Damaged your Property?
- Inventory Reports and Check-Ins – are both really necessary?
- Who should pay for Property Cleaning - Tenants or Landlords?
- Is a Check-in Report Really Necessary?
- New plans and improved resolution for images
- Overheads of being a Landlord
- It is Critical that Inventory Reports are Accurate
- Mid-term Inspections of your BTL are Essential
- Minimising risks with proper tenant checks
- Making a Claim on a Tenant’s Deposit: What you need to consider
- The Importance of an Inventory for Tenants
- Things to note when conducting Check-In/Check-Out reports
- Our App saves a huge amount of time carrying out Inventories
- 5 Handy Screening Topics for New Tenants
- Busting Property Management Myths
- Six Money-Saving Tips for Landlords
- Rules for Tenants and Pets in 2021 - What are the Changes?
- As a Landlord you need to carry out Interim inspections
- Giving your Feedback on an Inventory as a Tenant
- Inventories made easy with Reports2Go
- New to Letting? What you should know about Property Reports
- Three Pillars of Good Property Management
- How can PropTech reduce your Property Inventory burden?
- Choosing the right Rental Management Strategy
- Some Tips for Promoting your Letting Agency Business
- The Importance of an Inventory to you as a Tenant
- Some Ideas to Consider in Order to Reduce your Overheads
- Legislation Concerning Landlords and Tenants is Constantly Changing
- What’s your Property Management approach?
- How to maintain a Positive Relationship with your Tenant
- How important is a Condition Report?
- Tools for New Landlords and Property Managers
- The Check-in Process in the Reports Cycle
- Doing an Inventory: Part 5 - Enhancing the Report
- Doing an Inventory: Part 4 - Finishing Up
- Doing an Inventory: Part 3 - Describing Items
- Doing an Inventory: Part 2 - At the Property
- How to do an Inventory: Part 1 - Preparation
- All you need to know about Property Reports as a Tenant
- Use the FREE Reports2Go App to Speed-up Inventories
- Using on-board Dictation Software for Reports
- A guide to Inventory, Check-In, and Check-Out reports
- Reasons for Landlords to carry out Mid-term Inspections
- How to Carry out an Inventory Quickly, Accurately, and Easily
- What does an Inventory Clerk do, and should I hire one?
- Inventory – A Guide for Tenants
- Things to keep in mind when conducting a Check-in Report
- Free Schedule of Condition - Why You Need it
- End-of-Tenancy clean? All you need to know
- Reports During Covid - 19 Restrictions
- Mid-term inspections as a Landlord
- How to avoid Deposit Angst with the Reports2Go app
- The Importance of the Reports2Go App for Inventories
- All about the Reports2Go App
- The Importance of an Inventory for a Tenant
- Dictation makes for a much faster and more Accurate Inventory
- How the Reports2Go app works
- Free Property App
- Completely Free App
- Tenant Fees Act and Inventories
- When you have a lot of Inventories, Reports2Go will save you time
- Periodic Inspections and why they are good idea
- Inventory meets the 21st century with Reports2Go
- Our App saves you a lot of time on Mid-Term inspections
- What is an inventory and why have one?
- Text Mode
- Audio Mode
- Our Inventory App
- Inventory Associations
- The life cycle of a Report