Mid-term inspections as a Landlord
As a landlord, the purpose of a mid-term of your property is to evaluate the overall condition of the property, both inside and outside, and to check that everything is in working order. It also gives you the opportunity to check that the tenants are following the terms of the tenancy. As a landlord you have the right to enter the premises to view the condition and state of repair, but you must give the tenant 24 hours written notice, and the inspection must be carried out at a reasonable time of day.
One of the main reasons for an inspection is to spot problems early on so that they can be repaired before they grow into much bigger problems that end up costing a lot more to repair. Unfortunately, you cannot always rely on the tenants to report problems. They may report serious issues, but minor ones may go unnoticed or not be considered important enough to trouble the landlord.
An inspection can also help you to build up a relationship with the tenant. It’s an opportunity for the tenant to tell you firsthand any issues that may be on their mind.
Mid-term inspections also allow you to spot activities that are contrary to the tenancy agreement, for example, having pets when none are allowed, or smoking indoors, or converting a sitting room to an extra bedroom. All these, if not allowed by the tenancy, agreement need to be formally brought to the tenant’s attention.
There are also items which are the landlord’s responsibility. These include maintenance of the heating system, the general upkeep of the external aspects of the property including roof drainage and guttering.
So what sorts of things should you be looking for? One of the most important is to check for dampness and mould. Many tenants don’t realise how serious mould can be, so it is worth checking around the windows, sinks, and basins, in particular in rooms which are prone to damp such as bathrooms and kitchens. Explain to the tenants the importance of ventilation to keep damp out.
It is a good idea to check on the pipework hidden away in kitchen units. It is also a good idea to run the taps to check for any leaks and also check the drains outside. In addition, check that extractor fans are working as they should.
Check that smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors are working.
The property may have a front or rear garden. Is the garden being kept in good order? Are weeds under control?
Of course, when carrying out an inspection you need to make notes so that you can compare everything with the original check-in report, and the best way to do that is to download our free periodic inspection software at Reports2Go.
The software is designed around a quick survey with ‘Yes’/’No’ type responses. The survey covers all the essential items. From that point, each room can be inspected, and condition photographs taken. You can make additional comments and the tenant also has an opportunity to give their comment for each room. In the process of inspecting a room you can identify any necessary maintenance issues. These are brought together in a single table in the document so all required work can be handed over to a maintainer and checked-off.
Once you have completed your inspection, upload from the app to the Reports2Go portal. The report will be ready to download in a few minutes.
Gary, 24 June 2020
- Career Spotlight: Be a Property Inventory Clerk
- What tenants can expect from a Mid-Tenancy Report
- What are Periodic Inspections and what do they entail?
- Landlords - What to Do at the End of Tenancy
- What is a Check-In report?
- How inventory clerk software can help your business
- Property Inventory App? What can I expect for my money?
- The advantages of using Voice Technology for Property Reports
- What goes into a Condition Report?
- Things to consider when compiling a Property Inventory
- Do I Need a Property Inventory?
- The Importance of Check-In and Check-Out Reports
- Our App makes creating a Schedule of Condition so much faster and more Accurate
- Our Dictation Software makes creating Inventory Reports so much faster
- Why you need to carry out Interim Inspections of your BTL
- Creating an Inventory is a critical task for a Managing Agent
- An Inventory Guide for Tenants
- Some tips for Landlords carrying out Property Inspections
- Creating an Inventory is one of the most Important Tasks for a Managing Agent
- What should you check for when Inspecting your Rental Property?
- How to Hire an Inventory Clerk
- Is an Inventory Report needed for Unfurnished Properties?
- The Reasons why you should carry out a Mid-Tenancy Inspection
- The Perfect Inventory App for Landlords
- Check-In and Check-Out reports: What you need to know as a Tenant
- Carrying out Mid-Tenancy checks: What you Need to Know
- You’re not still living in the 20th Century, are you?
- What to check for when doing an Inventory Report
- Use Speech Recognition tools to reduce time doing Reports
- Our Dictation App saves you a Huge Amount of Time
- Mid-Tenancy Reports are Critical when Letting a Property
- There may be Errors in the Inventory Report
- Reports2Go: the 21st Century way of creating Property Reports
- How to do a Condition Report for your BTL
- The work of an Inventory Clerk can be exceedingly varied
- What should you check for when inspecting your Lettings Property?
- Some things you need to know about Mid-term inspections as a Landlord
- The Reports2Go App makes Property Reports simple
- Why you should carry out Interim Inspections as a Landlord
- Why Check-In and Check-Out Reports are important for Tenants
- Some things to consider if you are thinking of buying a BTL
- The clever way for Letting Agents to create Property Reports
- Our FREE app makes Inventory Reports so much easier
- What to do if your Tenant has Damaged your Property?
- Inventory Reports and Check-Ins – are both really necessary?
- Who should pay for Property Cleaning - Tenants or Landlords?
- Is a Check-in Report Really Necessary?
- New plans and improved resolution for images
- Overheads of being a Landlord
- It is Critical that Inventory Reports are Accurate
- Mid-term Inspections of your BTL are Essential
- Minimising risks with proper tenant checks
- Making a Claim on a Tenant’s Deposit: What you need to consider
- The Importance of an Inventory for Tenants
- Things to note when conducting Check-In/Check-Out reports
- Our App saves a huge amount of time carrying out Inventories
- 5 Handy Screening Topics for New Tenants
- Busting Property Management Myths
- Six Money-Saving Tips for Landlords
- Rules for Tenants and Pets in 2021 - What are the Changes?
- As a Landlord you need to carry out Interim inspections
- Giving your Feedback on an Inventory as a Tenant
- Inventories made easy with Reports2Go
- New to Letting? What you should know about Property Reports
- Three Pillars of Good Property Management
- How can PropTech reduce your Property Inventory burden?
- Choosing the right Rental Management Strategy
- Some Tips for Promoting your Letting Agency Business
- The Importance of an Inventory to you as a Tenant
- Some Ideas to Consider in Order to Reduce your Overheads
- Legislation Concerning Landlords and Tenants is Constantly Changing
- What’s your Property Management approach?
- How to maintain a Positive Relationship with your Tenant
- How important is a Condition Report?
- Tools for New Landlords and Property Managers
- The Check-in Process in the Reports Cycle
- Doing an Inventory: Part 5 - Enhancing the Report
- Doing an Inventory: Part 4 - Finishing Up
- Doing an Inventory: Part 3 - Describing Items
- Doing an Inventory: Part 2 - At the Property
- How to do an Inventory: Part 1 - Preparation
- All you need to know about Property Reports as a Tenant
- Use the FREE Reports2Go App to Speed-up Inventories
- Using on-board Dictation Software for Reports
- A guide to Inventory, Check-In, and Check-Out reports
- Reasons for Landlords to carry out Mid-term Inspections
- How to Carry out an Inventory Quickly, Accurately, and Easily
- What does an Inventory Clerk do, and should I hire one?
- Inventory – A Guide for Tenants
- Things to keep in mind when conducting a Check-in Report
- Free Schedule of Condition - Why You Need it
- End-of-Tenancy clean? All you need to know
- Reports During Covid - 19 Restrictions
- Mid-term inspections as a Landlord
- How to avoid Deposit Angst with the Reports2Go app
- The Importance of the Reports2Go App for Inventories
- All about the Reports2Go App
- The Importance of an Inventory for a Tenant
- Dictation makes for a much faster and more Accurate Inventory
- How the Reports2Go app works
- Free Property App
- Completely Free App
- Tenant Fees Act and Inventories
- When you have a lot of Inventories, Reports2Go will save you time
- Periodic Inspections and why they are good idea
- Inventory meets the 21st century with Reports2Go
- Our App saves you a lot of time on Mid-Term inspections
- What is an inventory and why have one?
- Text Mode
- Audio Mode
- Our Inventory App
- Inventory Associations
- The life cycle of a Report